Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions for the New Year

I know that resolutions are a bit cliche and have never made them myself but, since this is a new year, I figured I would give it a try.

Fitness Goals
1) Run a 5k. I'm currently on Week 5 of the C25K program and have registered for my first 5k on Valentine's Day!
2) Run a 8k and 10k.
3) Lose 43 pounds before my high school reunion in June. This means consistently losing about 2 pounds per week.
4) Take a long distance running training class in the fall.
5) Swim lessons this summer. I can't swim very well right now. Hopefully lessons will help. The local tech. college offers adult swim lessons in the evenings.
6) Log 5000 fitness minutes on Spark. This breaks down to 90-100 minutes per week.
7) Run 500 miles in 2009. This is an average of 9-10 miles per week.
8) Do "man" push-ups. No more modified pushups!!
9) Just for fun; do the splits. I haven't done these since high school but my yoga will really improve.

My workout schedule is to aim for 30 minutes of cardio M-F and 15 minutes of strength training at least twice a week. I plan to concentrate on the running and losing weight. Once I get down closer to my goal weight, I will start concentrating on toning and strength building more.

Nutrition Goals
1) Eliminate meat, dairy and all animal products from my diet.
- Read books about vegan nutrition
-No FAST FOOD!!
-Plan weekly meals on Sunday.
-Pack lunch the night before.
-Collect bulk recipes for the week.
-Clear out "bad" food and donate to food pantry. (Although I feel a bit guilty about this; since you can't afford to buy food, you deserve to eat crap?)

Other Goals
1) Make a dent in the credit cards. Pay approximately 200-300 dollars per month towards debt.
2) Get my paralegal certification after graduation this spring.
3) Apply to bachelor's programs.
4) Get through the books in my To Be Read Pile:

*These are books I actually own, just have not read yet!*

Atonement: A Novel
His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass)
The Russian Concubine
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
The Glass Castle: A Memoir
The Imaginary Girlfriend
The Undomestic Goddess
Snow Falling on Cedars
Nineteen Minutes
The Tortilla Curtain
Love in the Time of Cholera
Promiscuities : The Secret Struggle for Womanhood
The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
Salem Falls
The Pilot's Wife
The Poisonwood Bible
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
A Separate Peace
Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women
Lord of the Flies
Miracles Happen: The Life and Timeless Principles of the Founder of Mary Kay Inc.
Picture Perfect
Paris Trout
The Pearl
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction
A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines
The Mermaid Chair
Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Step-by-Step Sewing Course: Essential Techniques for Making Over 150 Creative Home Projects
Change of Heart
How the Pro-choice Movement Saved America: Freedom, Politics, And the War on Sex
The Last Lecture
Gilgamesh: A New English Version
Wideacre: A Novel (Wideacre Trilogy, Book 1)
Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey
Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
On Writing
Bel Canto

4 comments:

Lindsay family said...

Holy mackeral, woman... You are making me feel like a lazy sloth after reading that list of goals and resolutions. All I came up with was a list of 10 (count 'em, 10!) books! And you've even got them divided into sub-categories. That is wonderful and inspiring!

And by the way, 43 pounds??? There would be nothing left of you. Surely that's a typo.

There are a lot of ideas on your list that I should take up... and a ton of books that I, too, would like to (and should) read.

Anyhow, just wanted you to know that I was supremely impressed by your motivation. :)

April said...

Nope, no typo! That is how much weight I've put on since marrying your brother.

I'm chuckling because the word verification right now is "Inactive." Yeah, right.

My books on that list are all ones I own!! I have a serious book-buying problem so I'm forcing myself to actually read all the books I already own before I buy any more.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

Your list of books makes me feel better, though I may own more than you that I haven't read! I started putting on weight before we got married (I was seriosuly hurt at work - herniated disk, lumbar sprain, torn elbow ligaments & tricep tendons, etc)and it continued through 2007 - 70 frickin pounds! I lost 25 from Jan '08 until Nov '08 & since then I've gained 13 back.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

PS, A Happy, healthy blessed New Year to you!