Thursday, April 16, 2009

Feeling Overwhelmed....

I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately and its really starting to freak me out. I have so much to complete lately and I’m not sure how I am ever going to get it all done. I just want to crawl into bed and hide for a little while.

The end of the semester is coming up and this is the time I start to get overworked with homework, studying for finals, finishing up projects, etc. For my Business Class, I have two internet assignments, Corporate Consent Resolutions to draft, four chapters to read and to complete the discussion questions at the end of each chapter. All due in two weeks. Then I have a professional portfolio and a report to write for the final. Ugh!!! I have four weeks to complete that.

Then of course, I have Unit #5 to complete for Math of Finance, including 3 chapters to read, three quizzes to take, and a final on May 8th.

I also volunteered to be the co-chair of the Education Committee for the Madison Area Paralegal Association. I’ve already started looking for speakers next year and have one lined up!! I’ll be taking over as the chairperson next year and also will be the First Vice President as well. I guess its one more thing for my resume.

Also, I’m completing my paralegal internship. Fortunately I am able to use my current employment for that. However, I have Weekly Reports to complete every week, an Ethics Project due at the end of May and a professional portfolio of all my past work to pull together.
I’m also trying to prepare for the Real Estate Law Class I’m taking this summer. Unfortunately, that will be falling to the back burner for now.

And finally, I start my first CASA case on Tuesday. I am very excited to meet my family, two toddler girls and an infant boy currently living in foster care. I can’t wait to get started but its just one more thing to add to my plate.

Oh wait one more thing. Josh and I are going to look at a 4-unit apartment complex we are thinking about buying as an investment property. If everything goes well, we will be landlords by July 1st.

Now, all the events I have coming up….

CASA is having their large fundraiser on Saturday night. This should be fun; there’s a band, four comedians, a silent auction, and a hors d’oeuvre and dessert bar. Then we have a party we are supposed to go to afterwards but I doubt we will make it there.

Next week, I have a MAPA event and the Lambda Epsilon Chi (National Honor Society for Paralegal Studies) induction ceremony. Thursday is CASA Lobby Day at the state capitol. We get to meet with our state legislators and lobby for funding for CASA. Friday is a Tupperware Party but I might skip that as I’m running the Crazylegs Classic 8k the next morning.

The following week I have Book Club Tuesday night, class on Wednesday, a concert on Thursday, and a birthday party on Saturday.

Woooo- I’m tired just reading this….

What else?

I’m going to the Billy Joel and Elton John concert on May 7th which I’m really looking forward to.
My dad is having surgery on May 7 so I’ll be spending some of that weekend with him.
Girls’ Weekend in the Dells May 15-17. Two good friends are coming down from Minnesota for this so I have to go.
I’m participating in a webinar “The Paralegal’s Role in Bankruptcy Proceedings.”
Another girls’ weekend in the Dells May 29-30 for my sister’s birthday and she’ll slaughter me if I don’t go.
Somewhere in there, I would like to make it to Oshkosh and Green Bay to visit two friends who have both had babies.

I figure I’ll finally get to sleep around July.

4 comments:

Lindsay family said...

Holy mackerel, my head is spinning after reading all that!!! Overwhelmed is an understatement!

However, it sounds like you are doing really well with everything!! I loved reading your update... Always good to hear what you're up to.

Good luck on everything, including the possible investment property. Wish we could be your first tenants!

Holli said...

Wow!! You sure have a a very overloaded and falling off the edges plate there don't you? That's astounding April...you seem like you can handle it all though! Try to have a little fun in the midst of it all :)

April said...

Thanks guys. I thought venting about it would make me feel better but honestly, reading that makes me even more stressed out!! Oh boy.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

WOW! You have a lot going; I can see why you're feeling overwhelmed. Instead of looking at everything you have to do all at once, try to just look at one thing at a time, like running down a list for each day. Believe me, it really does help. I'm prone to feeling overwhelmed and freaking out on a regular basis! Also, try & take a breather for yourself each day - make a point of doing it, regardless of everything else. Take a nap, read for your own enjoyment, whatever. It really helps too.